Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I know Liam's birthday

I haven't mentioned this on here yet, because I thought maybe something would change, but it really hasn't. I have a few factors working against me for a regular childbirth, and it looks as though a c-section is the right choice, as hard as it is to succumb to.

1) Liam's size. Right now he's projected at 8lbs, and if I went to full term or a week later (which is when they induce you at my practice) he'd probably be well over 9lbs, making it nearly impossible for him to fit.

2) Liam's position. His head is nowhere near my pelvis - my doctor was easily able to move his head from side to side, and she said that he'll likely be this way until he's born. The position is technically called transverse (and is written on my chart that way), which is odd, because transverse, by definition, would mean his head was on one side and his feet on the other. Either way, wrong position for labor.

3) My family history. And, this is the most important one, which is frustrating considering my mom isn't even alive for me to ask specific questions, so I have to take my father's word for it, and hope he remembers everything accurately. My mom was in labor for an entire day before she was deemed failure to progress and I was an emergency c-section. Her pelvis was not big enough to accommodate 7lbs of me. And, I'm actually a smaller person bone-wise (by a little) than my mother was. This does not bode well for me whatsoever (says my doc).

So, needless to say, a c-section is in the works. I have to wait until I am full term as my doctor is out of town all next week. That is sort of frustrating because of course I am afraid of going into labor and having an on-call doc perform a c-section in the middle of the night. That would be horrible. If it has to happen that way, so be it, but I'd feel much more comfortable with my own doctor whom I've known for years. And, in reality, I could schedule it any time next week with one of the other 2 docs in the practice, but I am not going to. Neither of them were willing to tell it to me straight, and I simply don't feel as comfortable with either of them cutting me open as I do with my own doc.

That's the story. In less than 2 weeks, he'll be here for sure.

38w3d

No comments:

Post a Comment