Thursday, August 13, 2009

One year

One year ago today is the day I found out I was pregnant the first time. It was not exactly something I was expecting. I had quit my position with the group practice I belonged to only about 5 or 6 hours prior, and was planning to start my own practice a few weeks later. I was very focused on my career, having just gotten my counseling license 5 days before I found out I was pregnant. The timing was really bad. Nonetheless, I wrapped my mind around the idea of being a mommy and jumped into the planning and preparation. Just 6 short weeks to the day I found out I was pregnant, that pregnancy would be over. I still think about that from time to time - what if I had a 4 month old? Would the baby be a boy or a girl? What would he/she look like?

Miscarriage is so common, but it's still profoundly sad when it happens to you. I consider myself a survivor and a success story, and I cannot wait until my little Liam becomes an outside baby in just a couple months. I know that he wouldn't be here if I hadn't had the miscarriage, and I feel beyond blessed to have this growing baby inside of me.

On another note, I had my first bi-weekly doctor's appointment today. All is well. BP is good, heartrate is good, and I'm measuring 31cm which is right on time for where I should be. I gained 2lbs since my last appointment so I am up 22lbs total (all the dessert I had last night probably helped!) and still hoping to keep my total gain around 30. I think I can do this, provided I don't go too overdue.

31w4d

No comments:

Post a Comment