Friday, July 24, 2009

Glucose screening drama

I did the 1-hour Glucose Screening Challenge on Wednesday. I actually thought it was not that bad, and the drink tasted like a very sweet, flat orange soda. I sat for an hour (technically 54 minutes) and had my blood drawn and went home. I was under the impression that I had to be under 140 to pass, so when I was told I got 138, I thought I was in the clear. Then I was informed by my doctor's office that I needed to be under 135 so of course I was right in this weird area. I was not happy. I was told I needed to do the 3-hour test which involves 4-5 blood draws, fasting before hand, and basically sitting in the waiting room all morning. There was a woman there at my 1-hour who said that she was miserable and that she hoped I didn't have to do the 3-hour. I was not too happy about this, and downright frustrated that my doctor's office had a lower cutoff than normal.

After doing some more research online, I found that the screening challenge was supposed to be a 50g glucola drink. I had 100g. I was about fed up at this point and thought my doctor's office was pretty much setting me up for failure so they could make more money off of me, so I was going to give them a piece of my mind! I got on the phone with a nurse and explained that I thought it was extremely unfair to have me drink twice the normal amount, take my blood before the full hour was up AND not accept my score of 138 with those 2 factors. She then informed me that I was supposed to only drink 50g and that the lab screwed up my test!! In fact, in the 3 hour test, they have you drink 100g and they want your numbers to be under 180 after the first hour!! So, clearly, mine was way below 180. She said I was off the hook. YAY!

So, it looks like I do not have gestational diabetes (duh) and I can go back to eating my donuts, cakes and cookies (just kidding!!!)

28w5d

1 comment: